Saturday, February 11, 2012

And sometimes we have fun, too

Today was Manayunk on Ice, which is an ice carving competition, and not show, as was my first impression.




This guy, after nearly losing his finger to the chainsaw (green thing on the table in the background, which he told us not to use at home) was now breaking every warning label and ironing a piece of ice.  Yup, that's right, ironing.  So today I learned that water + electricity + bloody chainsaw finger = beautiful ice carving.*



This guy's Mom was so proud of him.  "Look at the depth!  Look at the detail!!  I think this is your best one yet.  I really do.  With my amateur eyes.  But you didn't go overboard.  I mean, remember what happened last year?"

"Thanks, Mom."

"No really, you really did the best I've ever seen.  But it's a good thing you stopped here and didn't give the fish big wings** or anything.  Remember last year?  Remember?"

What happened last year???


This guy was unsuccessfully attempting to attach a flipper to whatever creature this was:


Beautiful work!


And finally, giraffes in love:


We finished out our Manayunk tour with a trip to Three Potato Four, which apparently does super cool antiquing in super hipster places, like this one:


And, despite my lactose intolerance***, I decided to indulge in what was the BEST GRILLED CHEESE I've ever had here:


I created a personal combo of provolone, avocado, and garlic mayo on super butter saturated Italian bread. MMMMM.  Sweet day!

---
*Yeah, don't try at home.  Or, every probably.

**Wings?  Perhaps I remembered wrong.

***Oh, enjoy I did.  Ask Emily.

No comments:

Post a Comment