Friday, March 9, 2012

Sparkly Kitty Reindeer and the Hairnets

I wish I had the photo that explained this title.

Well, maybe nothing can really explain this title.

This week I hosted what was the silliest group I may have ever hosted (don't worry, I told them that.)  By lunch on Day 1 we already had a band name (see title) and were setting up places on the tour.  Too bad none of us actually play any instruments other than a Dora Guitar and a mini saxophone that we found while sorting leftover Christmas toys.


So you know, I was the reindeer, and the group leader was the sparkly kitty.  Everyone was the hairnets.  We're gonna be big rock stars.

Anyway.

It wasn't all a fun and games week.  I missed out on Ayuda and when I got back, one of the girls was claiming that I hadn't shown up for the entire month of March (which is untrue if only because it's only March 9th, but she claimed it anyway.  I took it to mean that she missed me).  Also, we served over 200 homeless men lunch on Tuesday, we helped make 840 disaster relief food boxes, we sorted half a locker room full of Christmas toys, and hung out with 40 crazy (awesome) kids.  

And I laughed so hard.  Who says service isn't fun?  I think if you have an open mind and a willing heart, service can be as fun as you're willing to make it.  Sure you're dealing with serious things, but a light heart makes you more open to what God wants you to see.  Didn't someone say "Humour is, in fact, a prelude to faith; and laughter is the beginning of prayer"? 

Even though they laughed so hard (or because?), my group definitely was open to God.  Several were so impacted by the kids at the after school program that they couldn't wait to get involved in their own back at home.  Some used the week to step back and take a look at their lives and recommit to plans they had already made.  And everyone grew so much closer to each other, despite half the group never having met before.

Two friends independently told me this week that laughter is so important in personal relationships, too.  Laughter builds closeness and allows for deeper interaction.  I know that I often take things a little too seriously, and so I was glad to hear this sentiment echoed in my friends' words and in the actions of this group to remind me that sometimes, you just need to have a little fun.

And hairnets.





No comments:

Post a Comment