Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sandytude

That's the new word I've coined to mean "that gratitude feeling that comes after a giant storm named Sandy".

I don't know if I need to explain further with what I mean by that, because I think everyone's felt some level of Sandytude these past few days, but here's some examples from my life:

1.  Glad the tree outside my apartment stayed that way, especially when that one branch decided to high-five my window.  Repeatedly.  My window's such a sport.

2.  Electricity.

3.  Friends in my building with whom I can share a delicious baked treat- acorn squash smiles!



3.  St. John's Hospice.  This one is kind of roundabout.  But the Coast Guard had originally signed up to volunteer to serve lunch at St. Johns (they offer a free hot and super delicious lunch to any man that shows up) but seeing as they're otherwise engaged these days, St John's needed some quick backup.  So my friends and family pulled through and we got to share an hour with smiles and home baked casseroles.

It was a little light today, serving only 220 meals where they normally do anywhere from 300-500 meals in an hour.  The volunteer coordinator came over to speak with me and said, "Well, it's the first of the month- checks come in today, so people are out splurging."

"Hopefully buying some food, too!" I replied.

"Well," he said, "we don't judge."

And at first I admit I felt a little reprimanded, but now that I think about it, I get it a little more.  Say you serve here for years and you see some of the same guys come through every day, month after month, every year.  How do you, knowing why you don't see them at the beginning of the month, and why you do at the end of the month when funds get shorter, still serve them a hot meal and greet them with a smile?

We don't judge.

That's such a hard thing to live by, because it's so easy for me to say, just save some of the money and then you have enough to eat or you can save and get interest and maybe find an apartment...  But the truth is, each of those guys that walks through the door has their own complete and incredible story that I will never understand.  And the truth is, I'm leaving after I'm done serving.  I have a place to work and a place to sleep and there's no tree through my window.

And after all, who am I to judge?  I make terrible decisions all the time.  Does that mean I don't deserve to eat?  Well I don't think so, but I'm a little biased toward myself.

"I mean, these guys are hungry," my Mom said.  Yeah, I mean, forget how complicated it can all get- they are hungry!  And St. John's verse is Matthew 25:31-46 and they conjure the image of Christ of the breadline.  When you do this to the least of these, you do this to me....

The Christ of the Breadlines

I mean it's crazy, right?  Jesus?  The Son of God?  He cares SO MUCH about those in need that he says they are me, if you do this for them, you are doing it for me.  It's like he just got in the line for the soup kitchen himself- but didn't let anyone know that he was there.  He didn't judge the smelly guys who couldn't shower yet today (this week) that stood around him.  He didn't tell them to get jobs first and then come for lunch.  He just got in line himself.


So I'm thankful for the opportunity to serve there today and be reminded of how incredibly beautiful, how utterly freeing, and how awfully difficult it is to live a judging-free life.

A more full picture of this is that we're all in need, and we can't judge whose needs are more right than others.  If the tree did go through my window, no one would tell me I was lazy or worthless because I let a tree fall through my window in a hurricane.  They'd feel bad for me and try to help me get it fixed.


I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I need you, and you need me, and we all need each other.  And if I can take one hour to hand a guy a tray with a plate on it and smile so he feels welcome, then great.  And if someone can take one moment to say to me, "You did a great job with x", then great.  And if we could all take one moment to try to see Jesus- see the worth- in someone- anyone! everyone!- else, then isn't that worth it?

I know it sounds pay-it-forward-y but I'm just saying, you don't have to look real far to find someone where you can make a difference.

And that's Sandytude.  Taking a step back from every day life to get stuck in our respective residences for one day and remember what it is that's really worth living for.  For everyone it's slightly different, but for me, it's really seeing someone, and knowing how to make even one person's day just a little bit better.  I'm glad I got stuck inside for a day- I really needed the reminder.

What is it for you?  What's you're Sandytude?

----
If you want to learn more about St. John's Hospice or get more involved, check it out here!  They need daily lunch volunteers and they need lots of people to bake those delicious casseroles they serve.  They even give you the recipes.  Thanks!
http://www.saintjohnshospice.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment